Thursday 1 August 2013

Take that, kitchen-closet hybrid room!

After my last post I was really inspired to go about fixing that kitchen situation of mine.. and seeking out recipes of good things that I can make for myself at home really easily...

I'm going to start sharing these ideas with other expats.. just because we live far away from the comforts of our own homes doesn't mean we have to sacrifices our gastronomical happiness!

This first recipe is actually one of my favourites, my dad used to make EXCELLENT crepes for me & my brother as a special treat.  Mind you, he didn't do it often.. my mother rules all in the kitchen, and my dad always made a huge mess so it was always special when he did.  I am now getting flashbacks from when he let us make our own pizza dough.. oh god.. the flour was EVERYWHERE!

Back to the point, Crepes... they are magical!  I haven't had one since I have been to Korea... so... I snagged this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs, Dinner Vine, I will post later how they turned out... as now I have to go & pick up some fresh eggs, flour, butter, and peaches... all of which are really cheap to find as peaches are in season!

Wish me luck!

Crepes with Champagne Peaches & Yogurt

5
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 4-5 small crepes
Serving Size: 1-2
Crepes with Champagne Peaches & Yogurt
French crepes are sweeter with fresh peach & Champagne compote, perfect for brunch or anytime!
What to get...
    For the Crepes:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 T butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • *extra butter for coating pan
  • For the Peach Compote:
  • 2-3 peaches, ripe, yellow variety, sliced
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup Champagne
  • 1T butter
  • dash cinnamon
  • dash ground cloves
  • pinch salt
  • Plain Greek yogurt, for topping
  • Powdered sugar for topping
What to do...
    Make Compote:
  1. I make the crepe batter below first since it sits for 1 hour, and make compote while it sits
  2. In a medium skillet on stove, melt tablespoon butter, coating pan. Arrange peach slices in an even layer and top with the brown sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and then pour champagne over.
  3. Heat on low, until peaches are tender to touch and juices have thickened, not stirring.
  4. Set aside to cool until crepes are finished.
  5. Make Crepes:
  6. In a large mixing bowl combine: flour, sugar, salt, milk eggs and melted butter, whisking very well until combined (don't add water yet).
  7. Transfer mixture into a bowl with lid and refrigerate for at least an hour (up to several).
  8. When ready to make crepes, remove mixture and whisk in the 1/2 cup of water.
  9. Coat a non-stick skillet (I used a 9.5 inch) with 1T of butter evenly and heat on low.
  10. Pour some of crepe batter directly into center of preheated pan, enough to cover almost whole surface but before batter reaches the edges (about 1/3 cup for my size pan).
  11. Let cook without disturbing until you can test edges are golden brown, ~a few mins (should lift from pan easily).
  12. Once browned on first side, using a large spatula, flip crepe over & brown remaining side for a few minutes or less.
  13. When done, transfer crepe to rack to cool as you cook remaining batter.
  14. Plate crepes and spread half with Greek yogurt then layer of compote on top of yogurt, folding in half.
  15. Top with powdered sugar and a sprinkle of regular sugar as desired.
Notes
Double this for 3+ people. (the hour prep time is due to the crepe batter having to sit idly), can make compote while batter rests. The riper peaches the better, mine were not as ripe as hoped, so add more sugar when making compote of this is the case. Substitute whipped cream or mascarpone for the Greek yogurt if you prefer. You can also sprinkle the plain yogurt with a little sugar if you like these on the sweeter side.

No comments:

Post a Comment