Sunday 21 April 2013

You Been Quit!

So yesterday I received an email that startled me a wee bit.  While I had originally been told to expect to leave Canada around the 10th and was totally prepared to work for another 3 weeks and ferret away some much needed grocery/soju monies, this is not the case.  My recruiter asked me to be ready to go by the 5th of May.  It is the 20th of April.  That is NOT very much time.

I have been skirting around the fact that I have to tell my employers that A) I am moving across the planet, and B) I am doing this in just over two weeks.

Last night I decided to man up and tell my manager at Newlands.  Ali is a special fellow who I have a soft spot for, he is an older czech gentleman that wears suits even when the heat is cranked, and hides in storage closets or the kitchen to eat buffet food when he thinks none of us are looking. We are required to wear red or green aprons during the Christmas season, with matching Christmas themes reindeer antlers or santa hats.  He makes us move heavy furniture around, and never cuts anyone until the very last minute.  You could have three tables, and be cashed out before 7:30 but finish at 12:30 am if he wants.  He calls me Leslie, Laura, Leanne, or Laura.  He refers to Jordan as 'Girl'.

All of this aside, he is a very funny man with some incredible stories of former staff, life in Czech Republic, and he almost never takes a day off.  He's a character.  I felt bad quitting because the place can be such a gongshow especially on sundays - but sunday lunches are my favourite. Everyone sits around and talks for half an hour, you get to really know each other.  I have made a lot of really great friends there and will miss them very much.  I hope they check out this blog every once & a while ( leave me a comment!!)

I just started at the Thirsty Penguin and have only worked a handful of shifts.  I take so much time off for my courses in Victoria that I actually feel like such a derp going in today to give my notice.

I thought getting my contract organized would be the hardest part, but it turns out the most complicated step of this process is dealing with what I am flying away from..

Next Step:  Cancelling Gym Memberships & Phone Plan.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment