Sunday 14 April 2013

Allons-y, Mes Amis!

As a historian, I have spent many hours pouring over travel journals.  I have spent years of my life studying the voyages of those who have lived to sail into the horizons in search of new lands, adventure , and sometimes even love.  I have always felt this yearning to abandon my comfortable place nestled in the stacks and archives and test out my sea legs.

My first taste of travel was at the tender ages of two, when I was undoubtably a terrible human being in the making.  My mother has always been close with her nieces Shelley and Wendy, so it was natural that my parents attend her wedding.  It seems pretty reasonable that where the parental units go, the children are carted along.  Under normal circumstances, this would be the case.. however baby Lauren was more than just a cute face.  She was... well.. she was a much smaller version of myself, which basically means easier to lose track of.  My dad encouraged my exploration of the larger world right from the get go, but my mother was the one we can credit with eventually harnessing that energy & directing it to projects that resulted in less mess (in most instances).  She may have saved the world from total destruction.  You should all thank her.
Anyways, my dad was in charge of watching me at this wedding, and as per usual he found himself distracted by all things joyful and wedding.  I found the cake, I pulled the table cloth, and in the nick of time said cake was rescued by someone with a much more keen eye than my father.  My plan was foiled, but I never gave up my quest for that cake. 

In my short life I have been unbelievably blessed to have had the chance to visit countries such as France, England, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Austria, South Korea, Japan, and Ammurka. I also spent a quarter of my young life living on Vancouver Island while I attended the University of Victoria.  I suppose one might say I've cut an interesting trail for myself across the globe.  If I remain in one place for too long, I find myself growing restless.  Regardless of how hard I try to avoid it, wherever I end up chaos tends to follow.  There really is no rhyme or reason for it, my friends have said many times that if I lived in a past life I was probably a terrible, terrible person.  Sometimes these events are incredibly funny, other times they have resulted in some harsh consequences.  I do my best to take these in stride, I've come to accept that there is little to do but laugh it off.  I try to think of ten reasons to smile everyday.  I enjoy making lists, sometimes I will share these with you.  

I promise this blog will be engaging, honest, and for the sake of my beautiful mother for whose love and nurturing I am so grateful, I will do my best to avoid using the word fuck.  

Okay, that one didn't count. Sarry mama.

In a few weeks I will be setting off on my latest adventure across the Pacific Ocean to South Korea.  I am hoping to bring my dog-child Gerald with me. I have some experience within the city of Busan, so I am not expecting to experience too too many cultural shocks right off the bat.  I am well aware that by going after this big piece of cakey adventure I will be leaving behind many people that I love very much.  The Korean Peninsula is in a state of political upset, so many people will worry.  It is my hopes that by sharing my day to day experiences with you all that I will be able to keep you up to date on my whereabouts, my safety, and my personal growth.  I invite you to follow along, and via interwebs share in this crazy adventure.

Much love
xoxo
L




No comments:

Post a Comment